It’s a Bird, It’s a Plane, No… it’s DC Universe Online! The must know about the DC game.
On January 11, 2011, superhero fanatics and avid video gamers had reason to celebrate; DC Universe Online (DCUO) was released. Developed by Sony Online Entertainment’s Austin Studio, DCUO is a MMORPG set in the DC Universe. It plays on the PS3, PC, and has been announced for the PS4. Since diving in head first to the vast DC Universe, I have learned a number of things which may help you out in your own adventure. Here are the most relevant things you need to know when starting up DCUO.
- It’s free to play! Whether you are a new comer or a veteran, the biggest thing you need to know about DCUO is that it’s free to play. While DCUO initially was a strictly subscription based model, it transitioned to a more micro transaction based model in late 2011, Keep in mind that not everything is available to players who aren’t willing to spend the money, there are four tiers of payment options:
- 14.99 for one month of access
- 12.99 a month for 3 months
- 11.99 a month for 6 months
- 9.99 a month for 12 months
- Being a member has its benefits! Access to all DLC Packs, Monthly grants ( you can choose between Station cash or Loyalty points), 150 free replay badges a month, Unlimited Prometheum lockbox unlocked, unlimited in game currency, more inventory slots ( always a good thing), Free daily vault access, and you get to form a league.
- The game really starts at level 30. Honestly, this can be done within a few days (depends on how much time you have to invest in the game). Hitting Level 30 opens up DCUO’s endgame content, and that’s where you will want to spend the bulk of your time. The actual leveling you should worry about is your armor. There are different tiers of armor, and you need to run Duos, Raids and other endgame missions to earn Marks Triumph, the game currency used to purchase armor. Higher level armor raises your combat rating and allows you to take on harder Raids that earn you more Marks. A lot of the fun of the game is striving for that next armor tier. Plus, DLC packs keep adding tiers, so this really is the actual leveling you should care about.
- Exobits and Exobytes. Exobits are littered over Gotham and Metropolis for you to pick up when you spot them. Collect enough exobits, and you can make an exobyte. Collect the right plan, and you can combine the exobytes with crafting materials and whip up armor mods. Even if you have the best armor in the game, the pieces have mod slots where you can equip these crafted goodies. Your best armor can always get better. Between the armor tiers, and the armor mods, you will quickly find yourself in that ultimate and never ending quest to perfect your armor.
- Come on down to the Auction! If going out and collecting exobits isn’t your thing, you can just buy them from the auction house, known in game as the Broker. Just keep in mind aggressive exobits go anywhere from $2 to $7 million in game cash. In my experience I have finished the main path with around $19,000, Raids and Duos don’t bring in much money. I was shocked when some people where talking about having 50 million in their pocket, but after farming exobits and then turning around and putting them up in the auction I soon to found myself a millionaire. Farming does have its advantages.
- The Text and Map. The text in the game is still much too small despite the fact that the last couple of patches made the text size adjustable. I was playing on a 37” HDTV and found myself still struggling to see the words. Not such a big problem for PC users but it is a problem for PS3 users who sit further from the screen, with all that said the Map holds the same problem for me.
- Downloadable content. There are currently 7 DLCS available with more being developed. Each DLC comes with a variety of things from new solo missions to new powers. Of course your access to DLC packs will depend on your subscription level. Free players will have to buy the DLC’s currently priced at 9.99 apiece. While members get the DLC’s as part of their packages.
Is DC Universe Online worth a try? At some point we have all thought about what it would be like to be a super hero and for the first time you will have the opportunity to do just that by being able to enter into a world either as a force of good or evil. You can battle with or against some of the most famous heroes and villains of all time including Batman, Superman, Wonder women, The Joker, and Lex Luther. Being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound… you can count me in!